Some of you may remember studying the fall of the Roman Empire in school – it’s a little eerie when you realize how closely we are following the same course:
- The rapid increase of divorce; the undermining of the dignity and sanctity of the home, which is the basis of human society.
- Higher and higher taxes and the spending of public monies for free bread and circuses for the populace.
- The mad craze for pleasure; sports becoming every year more exciting and more brutal.
- The building of gigantic armaments when the real enemy was within, the decadence of the people.
- The decay of religion — faith fading into mere form, losing touch with life and becoming impotent to warn and guide the people*.
Obviously, if the Lord tarries, the West may certainly follow the same path…. But our families don’t have to! Let’s remain zealous for good deeds as we look for His appearing! (Titus 2:11-14) And let’s live like we believe! (Philippians 1:27-30). Never forget that someone is modeling himself after you, even as you are modeling yourself after Christ (1 Cor 11:1). And finally, keep in mind, that it doesn’t ALL depend on you!
Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy, to the only wise God our Savior, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever. Amen. (Jude 24-25 KJV)
*The above list is attributed to Edward Gibbon, author of The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire (1789)